Aerofoil extends Vista and Windows 7 notebook battery life by:
- Allowing you to manually disable Aero Glass.
- Optionally managing Aero Glass user interface.
- Optionally managing sound muting.
- Optionally managing your chosen power plans.
- Optionally managing Windows Sidebar.
- Optionally showing a quick hibernate button.
- Changing icon colour to show whether on battery or AC.
Benefits over earlier versions and similar software:
- Much more efficient - Aerofoil is 100% unmanaged C++ (no .Net Framework!).
- Available in both 64 bit (x64) and regular 32 bit (x86) builds.
- Much smaller memory use (about 25%-30% of the size of similar software).
- Unlike other apps, Aerofoil doesn't poll battery level continuously allowing the CPU save power by being idle more often.
- No configuration file - everything is customised with the installer.
- Open source and free - no expiry date, adware, spyware or malware, download and compile it for yourself if you prefer*!
What reviewers of Aerofoil have had to say:
"Aerofoil Extends Your Battery Life Approximately 25%", "you really should download"
(netbooknews.com) Disclaimer: Aerofoil's author's (my) personal best has been (only) 10-15%, or ~10 minutes, on a 2 hour battery 17 inch HP notebook (DV9233EU) with power saver mode using the lowest screen brightness.
"Why couldn't Microsoft just make power switching part of the "Designed for Windows 8" spec or buy Aerofoil?"
(Woody Leonhard, Infoworld)
"This is definitely a worth-while little app for road warriors"
(Metro Area Personal Computer Club, Iowa, USA)
"great for gaming and notebook applications alike"
(Official Windows Magazine - 47th of top 100, 37th of top 40 Hot Apps / TechRadar)
"Aerofoil, though, is far, far smaller and more efficient"
(Dave Johnson, Bnet)
The great advantage of AeroFoil is little resource consumption..... works perfectly with Windows 7"
"a must for every Vista laptop user."
(Wim Van Acoleyen, ZDNet)
"Great utility for gamers and laptop users."
"simple yet amazingly effective software that the corporate bigwigs couldn't figure out"
Changes in 1.5.1:
- Available as a 64 bit (x64) executable.
- Source code updated for the wxWidgets 2.9.0 framework.
- Project updated for Visual Studio 2010.
- Multibyte strings have been removed in favour of Unicode.
- UPX compression has been removed due to lack of a 64 bit Windows packer (memory usage remains the same).
Downloads (please read the important note below too):
Download from Softpedia (external site) (note Softpedia don't host the source code).
Download Aerofoil 1.5.1 (64 bit) Installer
Download Aerofoil 1.5.1 (32 bit) Installer
Download Aerofoil 1.5.1 (64 bit) Source Code (C++)*
Download Aerofoil 1.5.1 (32 bit) Source Code (C++)*
IMPORTANT: If you receive an error message regarding the msvcp100.dll being missing you may also need a Windows update - the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable. You can get this from Microsoft - links below - please choose the correct version:
Redistributable for 64 bit (x64)
Redistributable for 32 bit (x86)
* The source code has dependencies on the wxWidgets framework (2.9.0) and the project is for Visual Studio 2010. For 64 bit compilation wxWidgets will also need building with the WIN64 flag (instead of WIN32) and the project build platform targets set to x64. Additionally an environment variable $(WindowsSdkDirx64) needs to point to the relevant Windows 7.1 SDK.