Original post follows.
The award winning Aerofoil has now been updated to 1.5.0(_03)!
Aerofoil extends Vista and Windows 7 notebook battery life by:
- Allowing you to manually disable Aero Glass.
- Optionally managing Aero Glass user interface.
- Optionally managing sound muting.
- Optionally managing your chosen power plans.
- Optionally managing Windows Sidebar.
- Optionally showing a quick hibernate button.
- Changing icon colour to show your power type.
Benefits over earlier versions and similar software:
- Much more efficient - Aerofoil is 100% unmanaged C++ (no .Net Framework!).
- Much smaller memory use (about 25%-30% of the size of similar software).
- Unlike other apps, Aerofoil doesn't poll battery level continuously allowing the CPU save power by being idle more often.
- UPX compressed meaning Aerofoil.exe is as small as it can be.
- No configuration file - everything is customised with the installer.
- Tried and tested on Windows 7 (thanks to D. Schiferli!)
- Open source and free - no expiry date, adware, spyware or malware, download and compile it for yourself if you prefer*!
What reviewers of Aerofoil have had to say:
"Aerofoil Extends Your Battery Life Approximately 25%", "you really should download"
(netbooknews.com) Disclaimer: Aerofoil's author's (my) personal best has been (only) 10-15%, or ~10 minutes, on a 2 hour battery 17 inch HP notebook (DV9233EU) with power saver mode using the lowest screen brightness.
"This is definitely a worth-while little app for road warriors"
(Metro Area Personal Computer Club, Iowa, USA)
"great for gaming and notebook applications alike"
(Official Windows Magazine - 47th of top 100, 37th of top 40 Hot Apps / TechRadar)
"Aerofoil, though, is far, far smaller and more efficient"
(Dave Johnson, Bnet)
The great advantage of AeroFoil is little resource consumption..... works perfectly with Windows 7"
"a must for every Vista laptop user."
(Wim Van Acoleyen, ZDNet)
"Great utility for gamers and laptop users."
"simple yet amazingly effective software that the corporate bigwigs couldn't figure out"
Download Aerofoil 1.5.0_03 Installer
Download Aerofoil 1.5.0_03 Source Code (C++)
If you use Windows Vista and receive the message "Side-by-side configuration is incorrect" you may also need a Vista update - the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
* Note Aerofoil.exe is compressed using UPX so you will find your compiled executable is larger. You can find UPX here. The source code has dependencies on the WxWidgets framework (2.8.8) and the project is for Visual Studio 2008.